What makes an effective content marketer? It’s not all about the writing, that’s for sure. A recent study from the Content Marketing Institute got us thinking about what the most effective B2B Content Marketers are doing to be truly successful. We thought we would share some of their insight and a few key lessons we have learned along the way.
1. Map it out
The most effective marketers map out their strategy… days, weeks, months, even years in advance. 66% of effective content marketers say they have a documented content strategy, and 86% have someone dedicated to overseeing this strategy. These teams know what is on the horizon across their communication channels, and can clearly see 1) not only what types of content need to be created, but also 2) how they can best track the effectiveness of these campaigns.
Our team uses a content calendar to break down all of the upcoming campaigns by channel and content type. We’re able to see, at a glance, what campaigns are imminent and what needs to be done, as well as how all of the different campaigns will intersect. This calendar has been an invaluable tool in being able to manage all of the different initiatives our department oversees.
2. Expand your thinking
Where are you posting your content? Your website and a couple of social media channels? The CMI study finds than an effective content marketer uses an average of 15 tactics and 7 social media platforms to communicate their message.
Our team is always on the hunt for new ways to reach our audience, and our audience isn’t always on the same channel. Learn to spread your reach while still focusing on the channels where your audience is going to be. Your content won’t be effective if you’re broadcasting to a deaf network.
3. Pull out your wallet
Over one-third of an effective marketer’s budget is spent on content marketing. Each company is different when it’s time to allot budgets, and marketing departments often feel the pinch most of all. But to be successful at content marketing and reach the audience you need, you’re going to need to invest. But invest wisely. Make brilliant hires – a great content writer and strategist can make all the difference. Learn where your audience hangs out online… devote some coin to making a splash in those areas. First and foremost, make sure you do the research before you spend… be confident that you’re investing in the right people and the right places.
4. Challenge your team
Easy content is rarely the most engaging. You must bring something new to the table, or your audience won’t come to you for education or engagement. Again, do your research. Find out what your audience wants to know, then present it in a way that reflects your brand and engages. Our team is constantly searching for new content and innovative ways to present it. We do our best work when we approach each campaign with a voracious curiosity and a critical mindset (always with an eye to our audience). Think big. Be interesting!
Connect with us to keep learning… next, we’ll explore the different types of content you can create & share. Stay tuned for that study soon.
- Manage. Engage. Measure. (Video) How Distribion is helping marketers manage their content, personalize their message and measure their efforts across all distribution channels.
- Marketing Genius Quiz Can you pass our Marketing Genius Quiz? Our short, 10 question, marketing automation quiz will rank you from zero to hero.
- The State of Online Video This year marks the 10th birthday of YouTube. Since its inception, other video sharing networks have tried to compete with the mega-giant and have fallen short. Many have tried to dissect video sharing into subcategories or offered amenities to counter Google’s unadorned approach, but it’s Facebook who has become a legitimate contender.
- Redefining Social Media Marketing (Video) Think of the incredible value of your audience becoming your biggest brand advocates. Redefine your brand’s social media marketing with just one click.
- The Marketing Automation Trends Report (Infographic) The only thing constant is change. Marketing automation has seen the fastest growth of any CRM-related segment in the last 5 years and its B2B vendor revenue now tops out at over a billion dollars per year. It’s no wonder many marketing professionals are trying to get a piece of that revenue pie.
- Turning Followers into Voters New software will undoubtedly impact your social newsfeed. Throughout the election season, political camps can now use social media On Behalf Of technology to quickly get candidate-approved content out to not only their supporters, but their supporter’s networks of friends and followers.
- #Tweet4DisasterRelief New software will undoubtedly impact your social newsfeed. Throughout the election season, political camps can now use social media On Behalf Of technology to quickly get candidate-approved content out to not only their supporters, but their supporter’s networks of friends and followers.
- Social Media Marketing: Fundamentals If a brand wants to create campaigns that transition over time, it must start with this fundamental marketing concept and go from there.
- New Technology Champions Brand Building New technology helps top brands build a consistent story. What is your brand’s story, and how are you going to tell it?
- Beginner's Guide to Marketing Automation (Infographic) Marketing Automation | Done correctly, could successfully complement your overall strategy and reach the right audience without wearing out the message. Learn how marketers are creating personalized messages in advance to engage and nurture their prospects while focusing on other initiatives.
- Marketing Game Changers: Recognizing Women in Marketing In honor of Women’s History Month, we are recognizing some of the women whose calling has left a lasting impression on the marketing industry. We are proud to share extraordinary women who were born to revolutionize the industry and encourage gender equality.
- Marketing & Music: Branded Content Hits Center Stage Brands seek to reach consumers in a new way at #SXSW. How marketing and music can work together to drive customer interaction.
- The Top 5 Apps You Must Download: Mobile Marketer Series What could a person learn about you from the apps on your phone? A quick glance at your phone might reveal that you’re a sports enthusiast, an amateur photographer, and a fan of talk radio podcasts. But would it reveal that you’re keeping up with marketing trends?
- Marketing Madness It’s the most wonderful time of the year for college basketball fans. That’s right, the NCAA basketball tournament is in full swing and the excitement is definitely in the air – or at least online.
- Can You Trust the WIFI? The Mobile Marketer Series Mobile internet has become much more convenient to access through public WIFI. But can you trust public WIFI?
About The Author
Courtney Todd brings over ten years marketing and communications experience to her role at Distribion. She specializes in B2B marketing and has worked in a range of industries including technology, luxury furniture manufacturing and healthcare. She holds an MFA from Columbia University in New York and a BA from Southern Methodist University in Dallas. Connect with Courtney on LinkedIn and Twitter.