Congratulations! You have quite the following on social media!
But now what?
Unfortunately for most brands, that’s where their journey ends. Imagine if this situation happened in real life: you run into a friend at the park who cordially says hello and mentions she likes your stunning new set of shades. Instead of continuing the conversation with her, you turn and walk away. It’s not that you are being rude or ill-mannered… like many marketers, you worked so hard to get the attention of the audience that you have forgotten to engage with them! Just like talking to your friends offline, it’s important to have a two-way conversation online.
Brands speaking WITH their audience and not AT their audience foster a better, longer-lasting relationship because a brand is listening, reacting and responding to the audience’s needs. Don’t be afraid to reply to negative criticism or give credit when credit is due. An unanswered complaint can be far more harmful than a simple “Thank you for your feedback,” or “I’m sorry you had a bad experience this time. Let us work to make your next one better!” If you like something that another brand is doing, incorporate the idea in a post or tweet. There is a good chance that brand may share your post on their page, broadcasting your message to their network of followers, thus increasing your reach and hopefully your following.
Creating Brand Advocates
It all comes down to using this earned media and attention your brand is attracting from others in a way that strengthens your brand. Forbes magazine recently described earned media as a brand message that “draws the attention of your customers and turns them into brand advocates and influencers, who will in turn push your brand before the eyes of more customers and potential brand advocates.”
What are a few ways you can increase your earned media right away you ask?
- Hashtags! Researching popular hashtags relevant to your content and your brand is a good place to start. But be careful. Add hashtags to your posts only if they are pertinent to the content.
- LinkedIn. Joining and posting to groups on LinkedIn can be another viable option for your brand to stay in touch with like-minded thought leaders within your industry.
- Content sharing lists are also a good way to get involved in the conversation. Content sharing websites are easy to join and are meant for people that want to share and interact with others. The more you are engaged with other brands, the more you can learn from their needs and post content on topics that interest your target audience.
Here are a few content sharing websites every brand should become acquainted with today.
Every brand’s relationship with its audience is different, and only you know what your audience will connect with. The relationship can grow or decline at anytime, and it must be worked on every day. It’s hard work, but as you continue to engage your audience you’ll see your reach grow, and that’s what makes you a good content marketer.
Engage. Engage. Engage. Don’t be a bad social media friend.
- Manage. Engage. Measure. (Video) How Distribion is helping marketers manage their content, personalize their message and measure their efforts across all distribution channels.
- Marketing Genius Quiz Can you pass our Marketing Genius Quiz? Our short, 10 question, marketing automation quiz will rank you from zero to hero.
- The State of Online Video This year marks the 10th birthday of YouTube. Since its inception, other video sharing networks have tried to compete with the mega-giant and have fallen short. Many have tried to dissect video sharing into subcategories or offered amenities to counter Google’s unadorned approach, but it’s Facebook who has become a legitimate contender.
- Redefining Social Media Marketing (Video) Think of the incredible value of your audience becoming your biggest brand advocates. Redefine your brand’s social media marketing with just one click.
- The Marketing Automation Trends Report (Infographic) The only thing constant is change. Marketing automation has seen the fastest growth of any CRM-related segment in the last 5 years and its B2B vendor revenue now tops out at over a billion dollars per year. It’s no wonder many marketing professionals are trying to get a piece of that revenue pie.
- Turning Followers into Voters New software will undoubtedly impact your social newsfeed. Throughout the election season, political camps can now use social media On Behalf Of technology to quickly get candidate-approved content out to not only their supporters, but their supporter’s networks of friends and followers.
- #Tweet4DisasterRelief New software will undoubtedly impact your social newsfeed. Throughout the election season, political camps can now use social media On Behalf Of technology to quickly get candidate-approved content out to not only their supporters, but their supporter’s networks of friends and followers.
- Social Media Marketing: Fundamentals If a brand wants to create campaigns that transition over time, it must start with this fundamental marketing concept and go from there.
- New Technology Champions Brand Building New technology helps top brands build a consistent story. What is your brand’s story, and how are you going to tell it?
- Beginner's Guide to Marketing Automation (Infographic) Marketing Automation | Done correctly, could successfully complement your overall strategy and reach the right audience without wearing out the message. Learn how marketers are creating personalized messages in advance to engage and nurture their prospects while focusing on other initiatives.
- Marketing Game Changers: Recognizing Women in Marketing In honor of Women’s History Month, we are recognizing some of the women whose calling has left a lasting impression on the marketing industry. We are proud to share extraordinary women who were born to revolutionize the industry and encourage gender equality.
- Marketing & Music: Branded Content Hits Center Stage Brands seek to reach consumers in a new way at #SXSW. How marketing and music can work together to drive customer interaction.
- The Top 5 Apps You Must Download: Mobile Marketer Series What could a person learn about you from the apps on your phone? A quick glance at your phone might reveal that you’re a sports enthusiast, an amateur photographer, and a fan of talk radio podcasts. But would it reveal that you’re keeping up with marketing trends?
- Marketing Madness It’s the most wonderful time of the year for college basketball fans. That’s right, the NCAA basketball tournament is in full swing and the excitement is definitely in the air – or at least online.
- Can You Trust the WIFI? The Mobile Marketer Series Mobile internet has become much more convenient to access through public WIFI. But can you trust public WIFI?
About the Author
Alex Navarro is a California-native who currently lives in Dallas, Texas with his fantastic wife. In the past, he’s been responsible for creating, developing and executing national brand awareness campaigns and has enjoyed developing personalized marketing and promotional plans. Alex studied advertising and marketing at Pepperdine University and has enjoyed working in the field ever since. He also loves meeting new people – connect with him on LinkedIn or Twitter.