I can tell a stranger almost everything about you. I can accurately give a detailed description of your day – from the time I wake you up until the time I dog-ear the page of your book at night. I am your mailbox and your morning paper. I can sing just the right song for your commute to work, call you a cab (or UBER) or find the perfect recipe if you feel like staying in and having a home-cooked meal.
Alright, you get the idea. You take your cell phone everywhere. It is your constant companion and ultimate guide to the digital world. From the time you wake to the time you go to bed at night, your mobile device is there.
That’s why there’s no doubt that the growing move to mobile is an essential element to consider when creating your brand’s next email campaign, but to what extent could your audience’s demographics determine your mobile success?
Do younger audiences use mobile more? Yes! According to Consumer Barometer, younger audiences tend to access the internet more frequently using their smartphone than older viewers who prefer using a computer. Millennials are the dominant mobile generation, and it’s crucial when targeting them to test the mobile responsiveness of your email campaigns.
In states like California, Texas, New York and Florida, over 50% of the population opens emails on their smartphone versus traditional methods. Open rates on desktops are in steady decline and continuing to decrease every year, so it’s a smart move to make sure all emails you send work on all types of mobile devices.
Location-based elements including store addresses and telephone numbers should be clickable and linked to online map directories straight from the email. Don’t forget: no matter if your readers are in Honolulu or Indianapolis, mobile responsive landing pages should be linked to your email offer to attract online shoppers while on the move. Your readers have opened the email; now make it easy for them to convert.
Let’s do a quick experiment. Take a look at the inbox on your smartphone and see how many different companies send you targeted emails every day. My inbox is cluttered with offers that include everything from discounts on my next oil change to movies hitting the box office next Friday to suggestions for where I should travel this summer.
Throughout the last few years I have joined a mailing list here and there, and now I find myself bombarded with emails – some of which I feel comfortable with opening or deleting right away on my smartphone, while others require some time on my desktop where I feel more secure. It’s no surprise that some verticals perform better on mobile devices for various reasons. According to the US Consumer Device Preference Report, industries like retail and entertainment have a higher mobile open rate than non-profit and automotive verticals.
Where does your brand fall?
Your readers’ dependence on mobile will continue to rise. To be successful, you have to understand the demographics of your readers to reach them most effectively on the right device.
Can you get to know your audience as well as their cell phone does?
- Manage. Engage. Measure. (Video) How Distribion is helping marketers manage their content, personalize their message and measure their efforts across all distribution channels.
- Marketing Genius Quiz Can you pass our Marketing Genius Quiz? Our short, 10 question, marketing automation quiz will rank you from zero to hero.
- The State of Online Video This year marks the 10th birthday of YouTube. Since its inception, other video sharing networks have tried to compete with the mega-giant and have fallen short. Many have tried to dissect video sharing into subcategories or offered amenities to counter Google’s unadorned approach, but it’s Facebook who has become a legitimate contender.
- Redefining Social Media Marketing (Video) Think of the incredible value of your audience becoming your biggest brand advocates. Redefine your brand’s social media marketing with just one click.
- The Marketing Automation Trends Report (Infographic) The only thing constant is change. Marketing automation has seen the fastest growth of any CRM-related segment in the last 5 years and its B2B vendor revenue now tops out at over a billion dollars per year. It’s no wonder many marketing professionals are trying to get a piece of that revenue pie.
- Turning Followers into Voters New software will undoubtedly impact your social newsfeed. Throughout the election season, political camps can now use social media On Behalf Of technology to quickly get candidate-approved content out to not only their supporters, but their supporter’s networks of friends and followers.
- #Tweet4DisasterRelief New software will undoubtedly impact your social newsfeed. Throughout the election season, political camps can now use social media On Behalf Of technology to quickly get candidate-approved content out to not only their supporters, but their supporter’s networks of friends and followers.
- Social Media Marketing: Fundamentals If a brand wants to create campaigns that transition over time, it must start with this fundamental marketing concept and go from there.
- New Technology Champions Brand Building New technology helps top brands build a consistent story. What is your brand’s story, and how are you going to tell it?
- Beginner's Guide to Marketing Automation (Infographic) Marketing Automation | Done correctly, could successfully complement your overall strategy and reach the right audience without wearing out the message. Learn how marketers are creating personalized messages in advance to engage and nurture their prospects while focusing on other initiatives.
- Marketing Game Changers: Recognizing Women in Marketing In honor of Women’s History Month, we are recognizing some of the women whose calling has left a lasting impression on the marketing industry. We are proud to share extraordinary women who were born to revolutionize the industry and encourage gender equality.
- Marketing & Music: Branded Content Hits Center Stage Brands seek to reach consumers in a new way at #SXSW. How marketing and music can work together to drive customer interaction.
- The Top 5 Apps You Must Download: Mobile Marketer Series What could a person learn about you from the apps on your phone? A quick glance at your phone might reveal that you’re a sports enthusiast, an amateur photographer, and a fan of talk radio podcasts. But would it reveal that you’re keeping up with marketing trends?
- Marketing Madness It’s the most wonderful time of the year for college basketball fans. That’s right, the NCAA basketball tournament is in full swing and the excitement is definitely in the air – or at least online.
- Can You Trust the WIFI? The Mobile Marketer Series Mobile internet has become much more convenient to access through public WIFI. But can you trust public WIFI?
About the Author
Alex Navarro is a California-native who currently lives in Dallas, Texas with his fantastic wife. In the past, he’s been responsible for creating, developing and executing national brand awareness campaigns and has enjoyed developing personalized marketing and promotional plans. Alex studied advertising and marketing at Pepperdine University and has enjoyed working in the field ever since. He also loves meeting new people – connect with him on LinkedIn or Twitter.