Starting March 11th, the annual South by Southwest Music and Media Conference (SXSW®) will begin, and this year is slated to be bigger and better than ever. The festival, now 30 years after its inaugural launch, has grown to a yearly destination for not only music but film and interactive innovation.
Everything’s bigger in Texas
This year over 400,000 people are expected to flock to the streets of Texas’ capital city in hopes to see past the bustling crowds and find contemporary concepts for future branding initiatives. Whether it’s staying one step ahead of the competition or merely highlighting individual brand talents, there will surely be something for everyone, from Sixth Street to South Congress.
Last year we had the tremendous opportunity to attend the six-day event and discovered how marketing and music can work together to drive customer interaction.
While some artists are reluctant to share the stage with branded content, the opportunity for brand activation at live music events like SXSW is too great to overlook. We dove right into cross-channeling, breaking negative online branding connotations and the friendly relationship between social media and music. The complete story is available below.
Brands will seek to reach consumers in a new way this year at SXSW, and there’s no doubt marketers all over the country will be in attendance this year. Amidst guest speakers with diverse backgrounds like J.J. Abrams, Odell Beckham Jr. and Kerry Washington, the future of interactive marketing is sure to soar to new heights by melding a broad set of outlooks.
Marketing pros hosting sessions you should catch
- Frank Cooper – Chief Marketing Officer and Chief Creative Officer at BuzzFeed on their global cross-platform network
- Alex Chung – CEO of Giphy spearheading a vast visual search engine and new tool for self-expression
- Steve Chen – Co-founder of YouTube talks about the future of interactive video and unveils his new product, nom.com
- Susannah Sulsar – Director of Customer Experience Marketing at Barkley on merging UX design practices with CX practices to improve interactions and experiences that deliver value
Enjoy the show!
- Manage. Engage. Measure. (Video) How Distribion is helping marketers manage their content, personalize their message and measure their efforts across all distribution channels.
- Marketing Genius Quiz Can you pass our Marketing Genius Quiz? Our short, 10 question, marketing automation quiz will rank you from zero to hero.
- The State of Online Video This year marks the 10th birthday of YouTube. Since its inception, other video sharing networks have tried to compete with the mega-giant and have fallen short. Many have tried to dissect video sharing into subcategories or offered amenities to counter Google’s unadorned approach, but it’s Facebook who has become a legitimate contender.
- Redefining Social Media Marketing (Video) Think of the incredible value of your audience becoming your biggest brand advocates. Redefine your brand’s social media marketing with just one click.
- The Marketing Automation Trends Report (Infographic) The only thing constant is change. Marketing automation has seen the fastest growth of any CRM-related segment in the last 5 years and its B2B vendor revenue now tops out at over a billion dollars per year. It’s no wonder many marketing professionals are trying to get a piece of that revenue pie.
- Turning Followers into Voters New software will undoubtedly impact your social newsfeed. Throughout the election season, political camps can now use social media On Behalf Of technology to quickly get candidate-approved content out to not only their supporters, but their supporter’s networks of friends and followers.
- #Tweet4DisasterRelief New software will undoubtedly impact your social newsfeed. Throughout the election season, political camps can now use social media On Behalf Of technology to quickly get candidate-approved content out to not only their supporters, but their supporter’s networks of friends and followers.
- Social Media Marketing: Fundamentals If a brand wants to create campaigns that transition over time, it must start with this fundamental marketing concept and go from there.
- New Technology Champions Brand Building New technology helps top brands build a consistent story. What is your brand’s story, and how are you going to tell it?
- Beginner's Guide to Marketing Automation (Infographic) Marketing Automation | Done correctly, could successfully complement your overall strategy and reach the right audience without wearing out the message. Learn how marketers are creating personalized messages in advance to engage and nurture their prospects while focusing on other initiatives.
- Marketing Game Changers: Recognizing Women in Marketing In honor of Women’s History Month, we are recognizing some of the women whose calling has left a lasting impression on the marketing industry. We are proud to share extraordinary women who were born to revolutionize the industry and encourage gender equality.
- Marketing & Music: Branded Content Hits Center Stage Brands seek to reach consumers in a new way at #SXSW. How marketing and music can work together to drive customer interaction.
- The Top 5 Apps You Must Download: Mobile Marketer Series What could a person learn about you from the apps on your phone? A quick glance at your phone might reveal that you’re a sports enthusiast, an amateur photographer, and a fan of talk radio podcasts. But would it reveal that you’re keeping up with marketing trends?
- Marketing Madness It’s the most wonderful time of the year for college basketball fans. That’s right, the NCAA basketball tournament is in full swing and the excitement is definitely in the air – or at least online.
- Can You Trust the WIFI? The Mobile Marketer Series Mobile internet has become much more convenient to access through public WIFI. But can you trust public WIFI?
About the Author
Alex Navarro is a California-native who currently lives in Dallas, Texas with his fantastic wife. In the past, he’s been responsible for creating, developing and executing national brand awareness campaigns and has enjoyed developing personalized marketing and promotional plans. Alex studied advertising and marketing at Pepperdine University and has enjoyed working in the field ever since. He also loves meeting new people – connect with him on LinkedIn or Twitter.